Nelson Hardiman understands the unique healthcare environment of long-term care facilities (LTCFs) – including nursing facilities, skilled nursing facilities, rehabilitation facilities and assisted living facilities. With an unrivaled mix of industry experience, first-hand knowledge of operational issues, and a keen focus on regulatory compliance, our attorneys excel at finding innovative, creative solutions to meet the complex needs of long-term care facilities.
Challenged with providing a wide range of healthcare and related services to patients unable to manage independently in the community, LTCFs must also address operational issues of managed care contracting and reimbursement disputes, professional and institutional licensure by accreditation bodies, and liability and staffing issues involving nursing and medical staff. Simply put, Nelson Hardiman has the legal knowledge, industry experience and strategic vision to navigate today’s exacting legal environment and increasing demand for long-term care facilities and services.
Our Work Includes:
- Acquisition Counseled and documented sale of a chain of skilled nursing facilities.
- Employment Prepared employment contracts, employee handbooks and independent contractor agreements for adolescent homes.
- HIPAA/Privacy and Information Security Counseled long-term care facilities on HIPAA and state health information privacy laws and development of privacy compliance programs.
- Fraud and Abuse Represented a skilled nursing home in relation to nearly $1 million in insurance back fees owed to the government.
- Licensure and Certification Advised on licensure, certification and/or related matters with respect to group homes, social rehabilitation facilities, and other long-term care facility clients.
- Regulatory Compliance Counseled on all regulatory aspects of healthcare, including for skilled nursing, assisted living, sober living, rehabilitation facilities, and related clients.
- Regulatory Compliance Advised rehabilitation facility on legal requirements for the storing and administration of a drug used to resuscitate individuals experiencing an opioid overdose.
- Stark/Anti-kickback Statute Negotiated and implemented corporate integrity agreement on behalf of skilled nursing facility chain following federal investigation of Stark/Anti-Kickback Statute violations.