Nelson Hardiman knows the durable medical equipment (DME) space and provides DME companies with turnkey legal counsel across a wide range of business, regulatory, and strategic challenges. In the face of escalating compliance issues, we help durable medical equipment companies provide a lifeline for people who depend on medical equipment for critical life-saving issues and day-to-day living needs.
We work with DME providers that provide mobility assistance equipment, hospital beds, oxygen equipment, prosthetics, orthotics and related supplies to ensure compliance with all state and federal laws. Our deep healthcare experience makes us hyper-aware that DME companies are vulnerable to allegations of fraud and abuse. We proactively help our clients identify and address potential issues and stay ahead of such charges to keep their businesses on track and operating smoothly.
Our Work Includes:
- Business Transactions Counseled on business formations, including drafting purchase and sale, wholesale and employment agreements.
- DME Compliance Consulted on licensing, operational, and reimbursement compliance, Medicare and Medi-Cal enrollment and changes of ownership, HIPAA and state patient data privacy and security requirements.
- False Claims Act Managed civil defense and general business litigation about fraudulent prescriptions for durable medical equipment and false documentation to support fraudulent claims.
- Fraud and Abuse Defended reimbursement audits by private and governmental payors and their contractors, and fraud and abuse investigations by government payors and their contractors.
- Litigation Handled Medicare enrollment and claim denial appeals, overpayment appeals involving power wheelchairs, electric hospital beds, infusion drugs and supplies, etc., exclusion and suspension appeals.