The February 17th article titled “How Urine Drug Testing Fraud and Abuse Is Impacting the Community” written by Harry Nelson and published in Bloomberg BNA’s Health Care Fraud Report discusses the recent growth in utilization of Urine Drug Testing (UDT).
In the addiction treatment community, scrutiny has extended to the relationships between and among physicians, marketers, laboratories and drug treatment facilities (both residential and outpatient). This article examines the impact of these cases on the treatment community:
- Part I reviews the recent Millennium case for the anatomy of recent fraud and abuse cases.
- Part II considers the appropriate utilization of UDT in the treatment context.
- Part III considers the issues surrounding medical necessity and abusive UDT billing practices.
- Part IV considers anti-kickback and self-referrals.
- Part V offers some concluding observations, including recommendations for the avoidance of conduct that may trigger fraud and abuse investigations.
For more information/questions regarding any legal matters, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 310.203.2800.